Thursday, May 31, 2012

Loveit; A Review

Everyday there are thousands of new sites that are created to compete for your attention. Today I had the misfortune of testing one out. As a member of Klout, and with a Klout Score of > 30 I was eligible for a "perk", today's being an exclusive invite to a new social media site called Loveit


What is Loveit? 


LoveIt is all about social discovery. It's a place for you to search, discover, build and share what you love via public or private collections. Have fun, get creative, be social, Love & relove! via http://klout.com/#/perk/LoveIt/LoveIt


It sounded exactly like Pinterest, but I figured I would give it a shot. 


Here is my review...


First off, you HAVE TO sign in with Facebook. This was a problem since I no longer have a Facebook account. Luckily I have access to a relative's account, and was able to use that to kick off the registration process. I was immediately signed on with ALL my information and photo, (well actually it was my relative's information, but you get what I mean). Even though I was frustrated that all my information was automatically posted, I soldiered on with a promise from the site that I could disconnect my Facebook account at anytime. 


The next step in registration was to get me started with following boards that might interest me. In another abrasive move, Loveit automatically signed me up to follow all of their sponsors' boards. I felt like someone had stolen my wallet, and now was shoving flyers in my face in hopes of me being distracted from the overwhelming sense of violation I was feeling. I unfollowed all of the garbage, and set out to disconnect my Facebook account, as I was promised I could do. 

What a nightmare! There was no easy button to press. There wasn't even a FAQ section on the topic. I started reading all of the site's setting and privacy conditions. What I learned was, the site had it's own privacy settings, but their only purpose was to be a Red Herring. While you are busy trusting those settings, Loveit uses Facebook's privacy settings to allow them virtually full access to your information and your soul. After reading that not only would Loveit be using my information from it's site to pass on to third-party advertisers, but that all my information posted on Facebook would also be used by Loveit as well, I was ready to leave the site totally.

My headache grew bigger... I continued to spend another 30 minutes reading through Loveit's terms & conditions for some inkling of how to deactivate my account. Finally after searching every page of information that website had to offer, I decided to try a different angle. I logged in to my relative's Facebook and started working through its maze of privacy and account settings. I deleted the app from the linked Facebook. Hoping that would do the trick, the promise I had held onto during registration now haunted me. If I am able to disconnect my Facebook account at any point, does that mean my Loveit account still exists? An hour ago that was my hope, now it is my fear.
They have my information, they can't get any new info, but they still have what they have. It is sites like these that make me hate the internet.

Personal conclusion
I didn't "Loveit", I hated it.

Is the site for you?
If you feel as though you missed the Pinterest wagon, and want to be able to join in on all the fun, you might like this site. If you don't want to deal with the hassle of setting up an account and maintaining it, this site is for you.

Reality
It's a poor-woman's Pinterest.

To check out my Pinterest account go here... Click

2 comments:

  1. We’re just getting things started during this closed beta and appreciate your feedback. We really do want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly to continually improve our site and most of all, the user experience. The page of brands, RSS feeds and other websites displayed during registration are not LoveIt sponsors. Those are simply suggestions for content sources we think you might be interested in based on the topics you chose in the previous step, and you can easily un-follow them with one click.

    Yes, we ask for some personal information like your name and email address in order to create your account via the Facebook login. We’re currently using the Facebook login to identify real people and to help steer clear of spambots. We read that you used a relative’s Facebook account to register so we wanted to let you know that the only information we collected is the name and Facebook ID to create the LoveIt account. We also want to be clear that we won’t sell, rent or share that information without your permission.

    We only collect non-personally identifiable information to track interaction on the site to see where our users spend their time and what they do most frequently so we can improve the experience for our users. That data is only shared in an aggregate format so no one is singled out.

    We hope you’ll change your mind and give us another chance. Did you test out our private collection feature? We have some great drag-and-drop organizational tools too for our power users. Are there any features you’d like to see?

    Please feel free to contact us directly with anything you’d like to talk about. If you still aren’t interested in keeping an account with us, please email support@loveit.com and include the email address associated with the account so we can delete it for you. Alternatively, we agree with you that LoveIt users need to have the ability to delete their account. This ability is being worked on for our public launch and will be available very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't need more Social networks. Since there are a few successful networks, there are to much 'inventors' out there who think that they can make another successful Social Media Platform. They better put their time in making something else, something really new.

    Thanks for warning me not to use it.

    Blocki :)

    ReplyDelete